Whether you’re an advocate or admonisher of Facebook’s new timeline layout, as of March 30, 2012, you will have to switch to it. If you have a business page, what does this mean for you? Here are some important things you should know for your Facebook business page
1. Your contact info will be front & center – Previously, your business phone and address were only available on the info page. With the new layout, your contact info, as well as a small map will be easily visible from the front page of your Facebook business page.
2. The Cover Photo – The cover photo can be a great tool to brand yourself and express the identity of your company. Facebook promotes the need to remain a social network, and not an advertising network. Therefore, they do list some rules to prevent the cover photo from becoming an advertisement. The cover photo CANNOT include 1) price or purchase information, 2) contact information (website, email, etc.), 3) Words relating to Facebook such as “like” & “share” and/or 4) Calls to action.
3. You can now “Pin” posts – If you posted about an important event, or promotion going on at your business that you would like to stay at the top of your page, you no longer have to post it over and over. You will now be able to “Pin” important posts and move them to the top of your page for up to seven days.
4. Milestones will “Tell your story” – Did your business move to a new location? Hire a new employee? Start a new business relationship with a huge client? You can mark each of these events through “Milestones” making it easier to track your big events and tell the story of your business’s growth.
5. New Admin Panel – Previously, Facebook was able to give you a lot of valuable information about your page’s visitors through “Insights.” They have continued to offer this information, but now the admin panel will come up first when you click on your business’s page and are logged in.
Have you been using the Timeline feature for your business and would like to share more info? Comment below!
Leave a Reply